Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Best way to integrate CO2 Op Layer with CM series tactical action?

kohlenklau

I was on the treadmill at the YMCA gym yesterday and out the window could see their "frisbee golf course". Some folks like frisbee. Some like golf. Some nut went and combined them. Sounds familiar? :D

If you need any vulonteers for testing your CO2 layer with CM drop me a line. Would be all over it. I think it would be better than HPS or even PZC IMHO.

Cheers

kohlenklau

Using my 1st tiny San Leonardo CO2 scenario for discussion purposes..
I am thinking the human CO2 player starts as Canadians against the CO2 AI axis.

Op Phase 1. Your recon platoon approaches the Moro and when you encounter an enemy unit you switch to CM for a short battle.
Then you go back to CO2 depending on how it fared! Maybe 3 CO2 files as options.

The player would have an interactive pdf or word document with links!

76mm

hey kohlenklau, I'm back from my trip and wanted to post here. A couple of thoughts:
1) Frankly, I don't with bullman that the fact that CO2 is real-time would make it somehow unsuitable as a CM op-layer;
2) that said, until you can edit save game files in the editor (to adjust strengths, locations, etc.), I don't know how far you'll be able to get with CO2.

Shortly I'll send you a PM on a related topic.

kohlenklau

Hi,

I am currently thinking that if we keep it on the small scale then it can be as successive edited CO2 scenarios.

76mm

Hi,
I am currently thinking that if we keep it on the small scale then it can be as successive edited CO2 scenarios.
Yeah, you're right, but I've never really been interested in doing this on a small scale...I want a full-scale game where most actions can be fought at the op-level but you can zoom in and fight at the tac level when one of the players wants to.

kohlenklau

I am starting to see a negative side to a large, long multiplayer campaign fought operationally with pauses for 1 hour CM battles. 2 month pauses! The continuity gets shot. People drift away. Most people do NOT post an AAR to show the action.
I am in a Bulge campaign. Started back in March and we are 2 of 16 days completed.
My own CMPzC operations seem to fade out during the tac phases.

I made a list of recommendations to solve some of this with that new CO game.

In the short term. I can dial things down to try and minimize the bad. :D

But that goes against what you enjoy so we see this is a tough issue to solve.

76mm

Yeah, there are certainly challenges... I also forgot to mention that I will probably usually play the op level either against an AI (if possible) or against myself.

I did this with a self-made op-level in CMx1 and played it for several years before moving to CMx2.

kohlenklau

For those who want SP against the AI it could be nicely done by 2-person cells. Each would prepare for the other person in 2 completely different operations. This would preserve fog of war. The pause in the op phase to do a CM battle against the AI would be much shorter since it is not PBEM file swapping.
2 similarly creative and skilled partners in this cooperative cell would be a win-win.

When do we start?
:happy:

kohlenklau

Can you take a summary look at CO2 scenarios and tell me which ones you see as your full scale target size. Number of days/hours long, number of units, size of map width and height?

AND I ALREADY KNOW TO SERVE YOU UP SOME NICE RUSSIAN COOKING!!!!!

2) that said, until you can edit save game files in the editor (to adjust strengths, locations, etc.), I don't know how far you'll be able to get with CO2.

Ah that is indeed an issue. I assume CO2 unlike CO allowed this. hmmm
Would doing successive edited CO2 scenarios not be user intensive?

kohlenklau

It is all relative.

As a general question back at anyone who asks how much time this would take....
Have you made and uploaded to the community any scenarios, campaigns, maps or mods? If so, how many man-hours were invested?

The more units involved, the more units to open and edit any new values. Say 30 units and assume 5 minutes each. That is 2.5 hours. Hence the desire for editable saves versus a stopgap successive edited scenarios.

kohlenklau

But say your coop partner was also investing that time for your edited scenarios and you divide it up over 3 nights. Maybe the coal mine hard labor seems less intense.

76mm

Can you take a summary look at CO2 scenarios and tell me which ones you see as your full scale target size. Number of days/hours long, number of units, size of map width and height?

Sorry, just saw this: actually there are only two East Front scenarios, so there isn't much choice, and the fact that neither of them is in the CMRT time frame reduces it to nil...

While I can't say that I'm only interested in the East Front, Bulge in particular bores me to tears and given my limited gaming time I try to focus on what I like best!

kohlenklau

I am planning to make some EF scenarios that would work with CMRT.
I have already farted around in the editors. It isn't so bad.
Give me some time. :D