Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Combat Power number

Joe98

Currently combat power is displayed like this:

Unit “A” has combat power 1

Unit “B” has combat power 2 - which is twice that of “A”

Unit “C” has combat power 3 - which is twice that of “B” and 4 times that of “A”

Unit “D” has combat power 4 - which is twice that of “C” and 4 times that of “B” and 8 times that of “A”

Unit “E” has combat power 5 - which is twice that of “D” and 4 times that of “C” and 8 times that of “B” and 16 times that of “A”

Unit “F” has combat power 6 - which is twice that of “E” and 4 times that of “D” and 8 times that of “C” and 16 times that of “B” and 32times that of “A”

These numbers could be very useful except that my mind cannot grasp these numbers. As a result I do not use them.

My suggestion is to change the numbers on the counters:

Old number = 1 and new number = 1
Old number = 2 and new number = 2
Old number = 3 and new number = 4
Old number = 4 and new number = 8
Old number = 5 and new number = 16
Old number = 6 and new number = 32

Brendan

Combat power's a key number for me when looking at my units. I like Joe98's suggestion: it's a quick way to make that assessment, but there's the pixel constraint.

Just a thought: indicate the combat power if it amounts to a single digit, just as Joe suggests. If the CP amounts to double digits, indicate with a capital 'X' or other icon, perhaps in a colour. Then if the player wants to know exactly what the double digit CP is, he could place his mouse cursor over the unit, which then triggers a pop up box with the CP power expressed in full.

I'm new to the game so am assuming that double digit CP units are a small minority of all the units.

As an aside, I'm really impressed by this Command Ops forum. I've never seen so much designer-player interaction in the development of a game. It's interesting to note that this forum has double the number of posts compared to the next popular game forum.

Joe98

I like Brendan's idea! Replace 16 and 32 with a big "X" and let me go and check for myself.

Joe98

I think the exponential scale is fine. Just remember 4 > 3

So what?

3 units each of size 3 = 9 versus a unit of size 4 wow we must have an advantage!

Except that 4 is double 3 therefore it becomes 9 versus a unit size of 8 - oops I no longer have much advantage

Dave 'Arjuna' O'Connor

Panther Games Designer
Website
www.panthergames.com
Yes an exponential takes a little more mental effort to get a handle on it. But as I said it's a question of screen real estate and more specifically unit icon real estate. If we go to an alpha or a number and alpha combination we end up with additional mental effort being required. Not the same as with the exponential but extra effort all the same. The only way top really avoid this effort is to increase the size of the box so we can fit two digits. That would mean increasing the size of the current counter or of positioning an increased info box outside the counter. That could be done. Another option is to do away with the current info box, increase the size of the unit type symbol and make the rectangle of the unit type symbol the info box. That way we can cycle the type of information, including the unit type. It would be a bigger space and hopefully we could squeeze in two digits. It would mean though that when you want to look at say combat power you would lose the unit type - ie you can't have unit type always visible as it is now. Anyway that's just an idea.

john connor

I think that would be ok, Dave - to switch between combat type and unit power. Maybe - in the fullness of time - this set could be an option?

Website
springelkamp.nl
So what?

3 units each of size 3 = 9 versus a unit of size 4 wow we must have an advantage!

Except that 4 is double 3 therefore it becomes 9 versus a unit size of 8 - oops I no longer have much advantage

It is just not meant to be used additively.

It is similar to I vs II vs III, except there the multiplication factor is usually something like 3 instead of 2.

kipanderson

Hi,
Yes.. I too go with a standard representation of combat power if doable. Exponentials not ideal “if..” a work round can be found.
All the best,
Kip.

Joe98

Not only that but my calculation is wrong!

It is an example of confusion the numbers cause!

If a 4 is double a 3 then a 4 is worth a 6 !

So we finish up with 9 versus 6 and not 9 versus 8 as I calculated above!

Confusion reigns !

Nobody noticed my error!

Last edited:

Joe98

Yet another mistake........

The 3s are of course worth 4 and the 4's are obviously worth 8

So, three 3 size units adds up to 12 and one 4 sized unit is worth 8

So we finish up with 12 v 8

Finally figured it out! ( Only took 2 days).

Dave 'Arjuna' O'Connor

Panther Games Designer
Website
www.panthergames.com
You finally got it Joe. Well done. I'd say your math is even worse than mine - and that is saying something. I do appreciate the difficulties you have had with this. I'd like to help but with the current unit icon layout we are constrained for space. What do you think of my solution in posts #9 and #10 above. These would not use an exponential, just a plain value. Again we will be limited to just two digits. So we may still end up in trouble with some very powerful units - ie those who would currently be valued on the exponential scale at 8 (128) or 9 (256). But maybe 99 is all we need to convey that this is one tough unit.

Joe98

Yes that would be fine thank you.

Obviously it would be a unit toggle much like the other unit toggles in the game.