Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Replay - Error message followed by CTD after some time

MikeGER

I explored the new replay function a bit,
loaded the according file (stored in the 'Recordings' directory) and let it run ...with different speeds and
map zoom levels ...after some time i get the following error message box .... followed by CTD when pressing a button.
CO2 replay bug.png CO2 replay bug.png

john connor

I'd forgot about this new button. I tried it following your post, Mike, and found there was only one file in the recordings folder to open - I've been playing Beda Fomm. Sure enough it was Beda Fomm when it started, but this was the opening screen, as soon as I pressed the forward button -

5.png

Looks familiar?

I pressed 'cancel' and got this:

6.png

So I'm wondering what we're meant to do to work the replay function. Is it in the manual?

Dave 'Arjuna' O'Connor

Panther Games Designer
Website
www.panthergames.com
First off, when you get that message it means the replay of the recording is now out of sync with the original game. The three buttons provide you with options. The first one "Yes" will continue with the recording - ie it will use the recorded order events even though the saved checksum and the current checksum are no longer in sync. This may mean that the current game plays differently to the original. The second option "No" will also continue playing but it will not use any of the recorded Order events. You will need to step in and issue orders yourself. Naturally the game won't end up playing the same as the original. The third option "Cancel" is used for debugging purposes and tries to open the Integrated Development Environment or IDE. If you don't have Visual Studio installed then this will probably cause problems. I use this to step into the code at the point at which the game has gone out of sync so I can try and find out why.

I should look into seeing if I can get MS to disable this third button - ie the Cancel - for a release build. It may not be possible but I'll look into it. In the meantime DO NOT select Cancel.

MikeGER

THX for the detailed explanation :)

btw:
- the replay functionality needs a box where the user can adjust/enter a start-time and the replay just 'starts' from there.
(from the nature how the replay is generated as rerunning the simulation, it would calc the replay in the background but not draw the
display at all, just show a "Winding Forward"-message until the starttime is reached .... i 'guesstimate' that will highly speed up
the simulation-calcs and the waiting-time will be not to long)

- a persistent replay storage option would be handy.
(the files would just get increasing numbers add to the filename every time a new replay is
recorded.)

Dave 'Arjuna' O'Connor

Panther Games Designer
Website
www.panthergames.com
THX for the detailed explanation :)

btw:
- the replay functionality needs a box where the user can adjust/enter a start-time and the replay just 'starts' from there.
(from the nature how the replay is generated as rerunning the simulation, it would calc the replay in the background but not draw the
display at all, just show a "Winding Forward"-message until the starttime is reached .... i 'guesstimate' that will highly speed up
the simulation-calcs and the waiting-time will be not to long)
No not really. It has to process each of the events in its queue. The animation is small beer in comparison.

- a persistent replay storage option would be handy.
(the files would just get increasing numbers add to the filename every time a new replay is
recorded.)
I am worried about this . Check out the size of a recording for a larger scenario after say four days of game time. They get bigger as the scenario runs. This all happens in the background for a user. So he could end up with 100 recordings in no time.

*budd*

just a question whether it is in the plans to be able to fast forward the replay without it going out of sync? Also when watching the replay the plans don't show in the plan dialog box.

Dave 'Arjuna' O'Connor

Panther Games Designer
Website
www.panthergames.com
just a question whether it is in the plans to be able to fast forward the replay without it going out of sync?
My general coding practice is to leave out of sync issues to the very end of bug fixing. Often they get sorted when the other issues are dealt with but not always. So I'm not going to give this priority just yet. If it's still happening in a couple of weeks I'll deal with it then.

Also when watching the replay the plans don't show in the plan dialog box.
That's because technically you are not playing the game any more. The AI has taken control for your side. Hence there is no "human Player" to seed the Plan dialog. Perhaps you could do a test for me. Start replaying and then issue an order and see if it appears in the Plan dialog. I'd appreciate your feedback.

*budd*

Yes the new plans show in the plan dialog box when entered during replay. I placed 3 new orders and they all showed up in the plan box.

MikeGER

I am worried about this . Check out the size of a recording for a larger scenario after say four days of game time. They get bigger as the scenario runs. This all happens in the background for a user. So he could end up with 100 recordings in no time.

Yesterday i let the tutorial test-run from start to end screen and with some minor interaction (orders) from my side
and the recording file has a whooping ;-) 3 439 KB ?
(the out of sync error occurs at D1 06:13 when i replay the recording)