Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Situational Awareness Maps

The Plodder

I think the Korps HQ was actually off map but If it isn't, I'll chuck it in. I've also added the units that are adjacent to the scenario map so it gives a sense of the bigger picture.

Race For Bastogne.jpg

What do you think? Is it too busy now with more units?

john connor

Still like it, but I would now wonder - if I didn't know the scenario - which of all those units I was going to have available. It's possible a little dashed line (for example) around the scenario area box would bring it out more and clear that up. Or maybe not. I feel I would want some kind of firmer connection between the three units between the Korps boundary lines and the greyed out box, making it clear that those alone were the units you would get in that box. And I would like to see, myself, the Korps HQs for each of the three sectors lined up behind the 'line' units, maybe even with command lines joining them to the respective line units? Or maybe that would be too much. It's fine really, I think. Ask for an opinion and it could go on forever......death by committee.....;)

papymaj5

Hi Plodder,

I like what you are doing with this map. Could you do the same layout for the american side showing the different divisions/corps?

The Plodder

Still like it, but I would now wonder - if I didn't know the scenario - which of all those units I was going to have available. It's possible a little dashed line (for example) around the scenario area box would bring it out more and clear that up. Or maybe not. I feel I would want some kind of firmer connection between the three units between the Korps boundary lines and the greyed out box, making it clear that those alone were the units you would get in that box. And I would like to see, myself, the Korps HQs for each of the three sectors lined up behind the 'line' units, maybe even with command lines joining them to the respective line units? Or maybe that would be too much. It's fine really, I think. Ask for an opinion and it could go on forever......death by committee.....;)

That's a good point about the extra units. What I might do is fade the units not attached to the scenarios.

Hi Plodder,

I like what you are doing with this map. Could you do the same layout for the american side showing the different divisions/corps?

I have. :) All the American units on the map belonged to VIII Corps and they were very spread out.

john connor

I think the Korps HQ was actually off map but If it isn't, I'll chuck it in.

Luttwitz is in Arzweld at scenario start, on map.

The Plodder

Okay, here's my final cut of this map, I've added the Korps HQ to the map,it's not 100% in its position but that would involve moving more elements around an increasingly crowded area. I've cleaned up the unit icons as well, as I wasn't happy with the font generated ones so I created my own. I've also faded the units not involved in the scenario so hopefully it's more clearer what units are.
Race For Bastogne2.jpg

Daz

It looks great Richard.
Thank you for taking over this project for me.
My availability has changed due to work commitments, and to be honest I think you will do a better job than I could anyway.
The above map looks fantastic.

pekische

The map is great! I like that I can see all the theatre and which part of the theatre I will be fighting in...

The Plodder

Here's the sit map for Assault on the Sauer:

Assault on the Sauer.jpg

I've also gone back and added the additional boundary lines and units to the Race to Bastogne map. One of the advantages of working to a consistent scale is that its quite easy to do. When I do the sit maps to the north of this map, I can add any additional lines or units to it too. So definitely taking an iterative approach to these maps.

Race For Bastogne3.jpg

SSG D

I am a map nut. During this 70th anniversary of the Battle of the Bulge, I have been reading various historical accounts and looking at a lot of period maps. Plodder, your maps are about the most big picture informative as any I have seen. If you end up with the entire Bulge battle front covered with your format, I would love to get a copy for print out or my iPad. Great Work!!!

The Plodder

Thanks. :) The maps for Day 1/Dec 15 scenarios are easy as most maps show the initial positions of units but I'm now doing the map for Eddy's Riposte which is on Dec 22. Trying to find a map the shows German unit's positions on that day is difficult. I'm using the Green Book a lot(that only shows German positions for Dec 26) plus I'm also cracking open the scenarios set on that day to see where the various units were. If any one knows of a good set of maps that shows the units on a certain day that would appreciated.

The Plodder

Yeah, I found that last night. The only problem with those maps is that they are under fog of war so the german info is not entirely accurate. Thanks though. :)

The Plodder

Here's the sit map for Eddy's Riposte. Took a bit work to get the unit positions hopefully correct for 22 Dec. In the end I skimmed the Green Book, using ctrl-F in firefox with a unit's name selected, to find out where a unit was on that day so it made looking at the maps in the book much clearer. I've purposely left off the unit designations for the scenario units as the main briefing doesn't mention them. I'm going to treat each map as a separate entity in that, what is not shown in one sit map will most probably be shown in a neighbouring map as to give a better situational awareness.

Eddy's Riposte.jpg

The Plodder

As I've been going, I've been experimenting and revising them if I've found something that looks good. I've found that some subtle drop shadowing has made the maps look a bit more modern in the presentation but keeps the old-school feel. Here's the revised Road to Bastogne sit map:

Race For Bastogne4.jpg

Last edited: